This pattern was created in reference to a request for such a square on the quilting.about.com forum. Now, there may be better methods available for construction this block, but I sure couldn't figure it out, and couldn't find one anywhere else either. :-)
You will end up cutting 36 pieces for this pattern. That seems like a lot, but, if you follow the assembly diagram below, using the corresponding cutting instructions in the table included. (Note, eash HST (half square triangle) section is considered 1 piece, so, create these squares first.) Assemble each subsection in the order listed on the assembly diagram, giving you 4 subsections. Then, sew each of the subsections together to finish the block. It will likely be easier on your eyes, and organization, to print out the assembly diagram and the table.
You may desire to applique either a moon (which represents "man") or a star (which represents "woman") to the top center of the door using the same color as you used for pieces K (that is, dark grey or black). Use a buttonhole stitch with either embroidery weight thread, or two strands of quilting thread, in black, to attach the applique. Use the same method to attach a small circle to represent the handle.
All dimensions provided are unfinished. Cut fabric as follows:
*HST dimensions provided are finished HST size. Click on the piece letter for instructions for creating that particular HST.
Piece Code HST Cut Size Suggested Color A 1.5 x 12.5 Sky Blue B 2.5 x 3.5 (cut 2) Sky Blue C HST 3.5 x 3.5 (cut 2)* Sky Blue/Dk Rust or Red D 2.5 x 3.5 Dk Rust or Red (Same as C) E 3.0 x 5.5 (cut 2) Sky Blue F 1.0 x 7.0 (cut 2) Dk Brown G 1.5 x 7.0 (cut 2) Med Brown H 1.0 x 6.0 (cut 2) Dk Brown I 1.0 x 4.5 Dk Brown J 1.0 x 4.5 Tan or Lt Brown K HST 1.5 x 1.5 (cut 2)* Tan or Lt Brown (same as M) w/Dk Grey or Black L 1.5 x 1.5 Tan or Lt Brown M 1.5 x 3.5 (cut 2) Tan or Lt Brown N 1.0 x 3.25 (cut 2) Tan or Lt Brown O .75 x 1.0 Rust or Black (this is the hinge) P 2.0 x 3.5 Tan or Lt Brown Q 2.0 x 3.0 (cut 2) Grass Green R 2.0 x 4.5 (cut 2) Grass Green S 1.0 x 4.0 Lt Grey T 1.0 x 4.5 Med Grey U 1.0 x 5.0 Grass Green V HST 1.0 x 1.0* Lt Grey/Grass Green W HST 1.0 x 1.0* Lt Grey/Med Grey X HST 1.0 x 1.0* Med Grey/Grass Green
Half Square Triangles
This is a quick and easy method for making Half Square Triangles (HST):
- Take two of the same size squares (read dimensions below) and put them right sides together.
- On the back of the square facing up, using your ruler, draw a line through the diagonal of the square, corner to corner.
- Keeping your squares together (use pins if needed), sew a seam 1/4" away from either side of the diagonal line:
- Using scissors or your rotary cutter, cut the square into two sections on the diagonal line.
- Open the HST squares and press towards the darker. (Be careful since you are working with a bias edge, do not IRON, just press lightly.)
- Using an appropriately sized ruler (the 6.0" squares work great for smaller blocks), align the diagonal seam with the 45 ° line of your ruler, and within the desired dimensions of the finished square, trim the excess off of the square.
Referring to the table above, cut the starting squares in these dimensions:
Piece C = 4" x 4"
Piece K = 2" x 2"
Pieces V, W, X = 1.5" x 1.5"
Actual Quilt Block Picture
Back to QuiltPox.com
Copyright InformationThis is my original creation, and is available at no cost for your personal usage. Please contact me by email at firstname.lastname@example.org if you wish to share it with others.
©2001, Kimberly Crapsey, all rights reserved.