- Fold the 4" wide strap material in half lengthwise, press with iron to set crease.
- Open up the strap, and fold both sides into the center crease, and crease well.
- Open up the strap, and lay the batting strip on the second creased section.
- Fold the outer portion ontop of the batting.
- Fold the opposite outer strap portion into the center, and then fold over again ontop of the batting section, using pins to hold it all closed.
- Top stitch the strap, 1/8" in from the edges on both sides.
- Fold the 2" piece of Fabric C in half lengthwise, wrong sides together, and press, for binding.
- Cut all pieces according to the chart above.
- Using a 1/4" seam allowances, join the two side panels to the center panel for each side of the bag. Press seams outwards.
- Layer the front panel of the bag, right side up, the lining section, right side down, and the batting.
- Using a 1/8" seam allowance, sew the pieces together along the two sides and bottom of the bag.
- Trim the batting from within the seam allowance.
- Turn the panels right-side-out, pressing well.
- If you have a serger, you may omit the 4 steps above and simply surge the edges of the panel sections after you do the quilting.
- Quilt the two panels as desired.
- Aligning the raw edges of the strap with the bottom of the bag, center the strap over the seam of the center panel and side panels of each side of the bag. Use pins to keep in place, loop the strap over the top of the panel, and down the other side of the panel,
such that the strap is not twisted at the top.
- Starting 1" from the top of the bag, sew the straps down to the panels, along both sides of the straps. (You can stitch over
your top stitching stitches if you are careful.
- Measure 2" from the top of the bag, and create a rectangle of stitches on the strap, then stitch from corner to corner of the rectangle forming
a reinforcement square on the strap.
- Lay the panels ontop of each other, right sides together, trim the top if needed to even up the bag.
- Join the panels to form the bag sewing with a 1/4" (or 3/8" if you prefer), along the two sides and bottom of the bag.
- Press the seams to set the stitches.
- To square up the bottom corners, smash the corners together so that the seam from the bottom section is directly on top of the seam from the side panel.
- Measuring and marking 1 1/2" from the corner tip, sew a line across the corner. (Trim and overstitch the edges if desired.)
- Turn the bag inside out, and finger press all seams open.
- Using the free-arm of your sewing machine, attach the binding to the front of the bag, aligning raw edges together.
- Fold the binding to the inside of the bag and hand slip-stitch in place.
- Trim any lose threads and you are all done!
Click here to see a larger image of the bags.